More and more organizations are jumping into Google Apps for Work.
This suite of productivity software is starting to become the gold standard especially for those companies that collaborate and do their work online.
But, even with its speed and simplicity businesses still continue to use project management tools to help organize their day to day operations. These tools are way more powerful and comprehensive if backed up with different project methodologies.
The good thing is project management tools are now integrating with Google Apps.
If you use and integrate both tools, it could mean a whole lot to increasing productivity.
How do project management apps typically ‘integrate’ with Google Apps?
- User can create tasks from emails. A button inside of Gmail allows you to create a task.
- Attach Google Docs to tasks, messages and projects. If you use Google Docs for documents and spreadsheets, it’s a more efficient way to integrate it with your project management software. Google Sheets are easy to use. You can easily convert csv to google sheets, which makes it faster to import project management data.
- One click sign in with a Gmail account. This is pretty much a given for all apps that integrate with Google. Be sure you know how to change your default gmail account.
- Exporting reports to Google Docs
- Importing Google contacts into your project management app. A great way to expand your user base.
- Integration with Google Calendar. This allows you to add milestones or due dates on tasks to the calendar.
Popular project management tools with Google Apps integration
Comindwork is an extensive collaboration platform that aims to have everything you need to manage projects.
Deskaway provides a central place for teams to organize, manage and track work.
Freshbooks is the most popular invoicing tool. It lets you organize expenses and track time on the go.
Glasscubes focuses on simplicity and clarity in managing projects, people and information. It has a friendly and intuitive interface.
Harvest focuses more on simple time tracking as well as managing invoices and tracking expenses.
JIRA is a tool for bug tracking and subversion control. It is used more for software development.
ProofHub gives better control over projects & team communication. It is an all-in-one place to reduce your project delivery time. You can easily plan, collaborate, and organize tasks.
Redbooth is both a workplace collaboration and communication platform.
Smartsheet brings online project management in the familiar spreadsheet format.
Solve Client Manager manages both projects and clients. A very simple mobile app keeps staff on top of their priorities.
Teamwork Projects is project management software that reduces the complexity of collaboration and lets you own the big picture.
Wrike is for real-time work management and team collaboration. It gives you full visibility and control over your tasks.
Zoho Projects has multiple apps in the Google Apps Marketplace including CRM, Customer Support, Surveys, Expense Reporting and more.
The type of integration each service offers:
|Create tasks from a button on Gmail||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Attach Google Docs to tasks||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|One click sign in||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Exporting to Google Docs||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Importing Google Contacts||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Google Calendar integration||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Cost for 5 users (per month)||$10||$25||$65||$40||$60||$10||$19|
|Create tasks from a button on Gmail||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Attach Google Docs to tasks||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|One click sign in||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Exporting to Google Docs||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|Importing Google Contacts||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Google Calendar integration||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Cost for 5 users (per month)||$45||$25||$50||$125||$0||$50||$60|
And there are also some other more unique integrations:
- Smartsheet allows you to attach a Google doc within a row on your Smartsheet. This is an interesting approach to their spreadsheets considering that Google might be seen as their main competitor.
- Jira which is primarily for software development also has some unique features. You can embed a Google Doc within a wiki on Jira. You can also access Google Talk within Jira as well as Gmail and Google Calendar.
So, which project management software offers the best Google Apps workflow?
It really depends on the way that you work and the type of tool you are looking for.
The best choice would have to be the platform that would make the use of Google Apps in your organization more efficient.
Feel free to use the tables above to compare. Then, start using the one that would have the most impact to your productivity.
Rob Rawson is a co-founder of Time Doctor which is software to improve work productivity and help keep track of what your team is working on, even when working remotely.