What does Time Doctor monitor on my computer?
Time Doctor increases overall productivity by monitoring computer usage in five major ways:
1) Task Tracking - Tracks total time spent on different Tasks, while allowing the team member to easily specify break time.
2) Keyboard and Mouse Activity - (Optional) Checks for idle time where the keyboard and mouse are not being used.
3) Screenshots - (Optional) Takes intermittent screen shots of a team member’s computer screen(s).
4) Web and App Tracking - (Optional) Tracks and reports the time spent on different websites and in different applications, to help team members ensure good use of time.
5) Webcam Shots - (Optional) A Time Doctor company has the option to enable the webcam capture feature as well. If webcam shots are activated for a user, that user will receive a notification in their desktop app so that they know the feature has been activated.
A company team member creates a list of work tasks from their Time Doctor client. They then choose which Task they are currently working on, and Time Doctor monitors how much time is spent on each of those tasks. They are also able to quickly and easily let Time Doctor know when they need to take a break from their work by clicking on the ‘Break’ button. A manager can also view a report seeing how much time was spent on each task, how much time was spent taking breaks, a chronological timeline of that report, as well as the total time worked for the day.
Keyboard and Mouse Activity
Mouse movements and clicks are noted, as well as keystrokes. We do not record which keys were pressed, only that a key was pressed. A manager can specify how long a team member is allowed to be idle (no computer activity) before they are prompted with a pop-up asking if they are still working. If there is no response to the pop-up, the team member is automatically put on a ‘Break’ period. All Breaks are not included in normal payroll time, however time can be added manually (pending manager approval) to a member’s payroll for time spent away from the computer, yet still working on company projects.
A company manager has the option of enabling screenshots which are taken every three minutes. We find that this feature is not necessary for the majority of team members, but this will depend on specific working environments. Screenshots are another way for managers to confirm their team members are working, and what they are working on. Each screenshot shows what task is currently being performed. Managers can download these image files to a folder for viewing, or they can view them online through the Time Doctor dashboard.
Time Doctor looks at the name of whatever application or website is active at the moment, and creates a record of these applications and websites. Time Doctor then collates all this information and reports exactly how much time was spent on each individual application or website. This information is useful not only for company accountability purposes, but it is also tremendously helpful for company team members to review their own habits and see where they can improve their work flow or eliminate distractions. Detailed daily, weekly, monthly, and user defined date range reports are available for review.
A time doctor company owner can enable this feature to capture an image of the worker once every 10 minutes. An individual's own webcam shots will be viewable by that user in their own screenshot page right along side the other screenshots taken of their computer. This feature can be enabled and disabled on a per user basis.
For more information, please watch the Time Doctor Product Tour video.
For questions, comments or feedback regarding this topic, please send an email to email@example.com.