It can be difficult to monitor progress when working on overly complicated project pipelines or multiple projects from different clients. In such cases, manually creating a lengthy task list and updating it can be a tiresome job.
Fortunately, most task tracking software can effortlessly replace and automate these processes for you. These tools can help manage multiple task deadlines, dependencies, priorities, and so much more!
In this article, we’ll cover the 13 best task tracking software for your company in 2022, along with their key features, pricing plans, and customer ratings.
Let’s get started!
13 handy task tracking software to try in 2022!
Task management is an important part of managing larger, more complicated projects and ensuring that the deadlines are met effectively. So, as a project manager, task management software can be a very helpful addition to your team.
Here are some of the best task tracking and project management tools for your team:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a powerful employee productivity and time management tool used by major companies like Ericsson and Verizon, as well as small businesses like Thrive Market, to improve their employee workflows.
Time Doctor is one of the best task management software for your team. Here’s why:
Here are some of Time Doctor’s main features:
A. Project and task tracking
Time Doctor is an efficient task tracking and project management software that lets you easily assign and track individual tasks. Project managers can also assign multiple tasks to individuals or teams and track their progress in real-time.
Managers can also assign team tasks for a certain project. This feature is helpful for future project estimation and time management.
- Select a project and open the ‘Tasks’ tab.
- Click on ‘Add Task’ and go to the ‘People’ tab.
- From here, you can assign the task to all your employees, selected employees, or individual users.
B. Accurate time tracking
Time Doctor offers two time tracking modes for your convenience – Manual and Automatic time tracking.
To use the manual (interactive) mode, users can simply click on the Play and Stop button for every task.
The automatic mode silently runs in the background and tracks work hours, allowing the users to focus on their workflows without worrying about the timer.
Note: Time Doctor is not a keylogger. The automatic feature doesn’t interfere with the user’s workflows.
C. Productivity ratings
Time Doctor’s productivity ratings allow managers to rate websites and apps depending on their level of productivity to help avoid distractions.
These ratings include:
So, for example, managers can rate websites like Linkedin and Instagram as ‘Productive’ for social media managers and ‘Unproductive’ for the rest of the team. This will help employees to stay focused on their tasks at hand and minimize distractions.
D. Detailed productivity reports
Time Doctor offers detailed productivity reports that analyze how users spend their time across all tasks and projects. Some of these reports include:
- Projects and tasks report: How long employees spend on any given task or project.
- Hours tracked report: Total number of hours tracked in any given date range.
- Timeline report: Time spent on tasks, projects, or on break in a date range.
- Attendance report: Absent, partially absent, late, or inactive employees.
- Web and app usage report: Time spent on different websites and apps.
E. Integrations and Chrome extension
Time Doctor offers a robust Chrome integration that effortlessly tracks time across all apps. It can also integrate with more than 50+ tools, including several project management and task tracking software.
Some of these integrations include:
- Create work schedules for team members and monitor employee attendance.
- Enable the idle time pop-up to notify you when you’re inactive.
- Track idle time to improve user productivity and focus.
- Manage payroll and integrate with apps like Gusto, Wise, and Paypal.
- Enable optional screencasts to get insights into user activity.
Time Doctor offers a 14-day free trial (no credit card required). Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
Explore Time Doctor’s features page for more details.
- G2: 4.4/5 (275+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
Asana is an effective project and task management tool that helps optimize workflows and improve employee productivity. It offers several team collaboration and time management features for businesses as well as freelancers.
- Customize project dashboards and templates to reflect high-priority tasks.
- Use automated updates to track task progress, late tasks, etc.
- Categorize the project according to levels of importance using the subtasks feature.
- Integrate with tools like Microsoft Teams, Clockwise, Excel, Google Docs, Zapier, etc.
Asana offers a free plan with limited features. Paid plans begin at $10.99/user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (8180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (10,600+ reviews)
Todoist is an online tool for managing tasks, to-do lists, and employee workflows with ease. It has an effective task manager that helps you execute projects on time with effective time management.
- Assign priorities to regular or recurring tasks according to their level of importance.
- Customize notifications to alert you when a task is due, late, or on priority.
- Assign tasks to individuals or the whole team at once.
- Delegate tasks to other members to effectively manage workloads.
Todoist offers a free plan for up to five projects. Paid plans start from $4/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (720+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1530+ reviews)
ClickUp is a project management software that also offers several task tracking solutions. Employees can customize dashboards, create tasks, set deadlines, and manage dependencies with its mobile and desktop app.
- Organize tasks and subtasks into Lists to create a hierarchy.
- Customize projects with task automation features and custom field data.
- Add checklist items to break down subtasks into trackable lists.
- Integrate with over 1000 tools to track tasks with ease, including Google Drive and Dropbox.
ClickUp offers a free plan with limited features. Paid plans start at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (4220+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2220+ reviews)
Trello is an online task management solution that can be used to monitor project progress, estimate future projects, and tackle any task deadlines. It offers features like to-do lists, Kanban boards, Agile boards, task manager, and more.
- Assign tasks to members and track individual progress.
- Customize your dashboard with custom fields to prioritize tasks.
- Add due dates to tasks and projects to manage workflows.
- Track all of your work with Trello Boards, a one-stop solution for task management.
Trello offers a free plan with limited features. Paid plans start from $6/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (12,600+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (20,800+ reviews)
6. Toggl Track
Toggl Track offers several time tracking and work management services for your team across various paid plans. It also has a convenient user interface and can be used on mobile or desktop devices to track employee hours.
- Track multiple tasks and projects using the time clock and timesheet feature.
- Generate weekly or monthly reports of all tasks tracked by users.
- Estimate future projects with Toggl Track’s Detailed Reports.
- Integrate with over 100+ tools, including Toggl Plan, to manage your workflows.
Toggl Track offers a 14-day free trial for all users. The paid plan is priced at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (1495+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1790+ reviews)
The Jira software is a simple project and task tracking tool that’s used to streamline issue resolution and project execution. Employees can integrate the app with several time tracking and project management tools to seamlessly manage workflows and improve their time management skills.
- Use Scrum boards or sprint charts to categorize complicated projects into small, simpler tasks.
- Create detailed roadmaps to get full visibility of all current tasks.
- Create custom workflows and dashboards for multiple projects.
- Drag and drop multiple tasks to prioritize checklists according to deadlines.
Jira offers a free plan for up to 10 users. Paid plans are priced at $7.50/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (4655+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (11,680+ reviews)
8. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects is a cloud-based task tracking and project management solution that helps teams plan, collaborate, monitor, and work on tasks and projects in real-time. It allows employees to track their individual progress and practice time management.
- Break down your projects into simpler items and checklists for easy task management.
- List issues or bugs in individual tasks and tag the relevant employees using the versatile task manager feature.
- Plan projects and track task progress using Gantt charts.
- Set up task dependencies and use reminders to ensure everything is on track.
Zoho Projects offers a free plan with basic features for up to three users. Paid plans are priced at $5/user per month for the first 50 users.
- G2: 4.2/5 (265+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (240+ reviews)
Wrike is a valuable project management and payroll tool that helps managers organize projects into task lists and checklist items to simplify workflows. Managers can also track employee activity and ensure that all processes run smoothly, without delay.
- Use the powerful project management solution to seamlessly execute your projects.
- Share tasks with teammates to collaborate on projects with ease.
- Track time spent on multiple tasks and monitor task progress.
- Create task dependencies and tag team members for effortless collaboration.
Wrike has a free plan with limited features. Paid plans start from $9.80/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (2490+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (1730+ reviews)
Monday.com is a project management and CRM software that can be used by managers and employees to collaborate on projects effectively. The tool integrates with many third-party applications and is a suitable solution for large organizations with multiple projects.
- Create tasks and tag teammates using the comments feature.
- Track individual user activity using project dashboards and monitor its progress.
- Manage task backlogs and reassign items to free up the workload.
- Bill clients or stakeholders for the tracked tasks with efficient payroll and invoicing features.
Monday.com has a free plan with limited features. Paid plans range from $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (5640+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2570+ reviews)
Timely is primarily a time tracking and scheduling tool, but it also has an easy-to-use task management app. Users can track time spent on multiple tasks and generate detailed reports to increase productivity.
- Estimate and schedule tasks to ensure timely delivery.
- Track time spent on individual tasks and view team workloads.
- Import or export project data into PDF, CSV, and XML formats.
- Integrate with any task or project management tool from Timely’s list of 4000+ apps through Zapier.
Timely offers a 14-day free trial. Paid plans start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.8/5 (210+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (630+ reviews)
12. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project is a project and resource management software used by several managers and employees across the world. It can help monitor task status and track project milestones with its dynamic web and mobile apps for Android and iOS.
- Plan and forecast any future project task or workflow with ease.
- Enable the timeline view or calendar view to monitor all project functionalities in one place.
- Create and assign any recurring task to team members.
- Use the Multi Project Management feature to toggle between different projects and monitor tasks simultaneously.
Microsoft Project has a 30-day free trial for all users. Paid plans are priced at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4/5 (1580+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (1330+ reviews)
Basecamp is a web-based project management and team collaboration software with several organizational features to tackle projects effectively. It offers a mobile and desktop app along with other useful features like task tracking, scheduling, and reporting.
- Set up to-do lists and assign them to one or more people.
- Comment directly on tasks or tag teammates to monitor progress.
- Create project spaces to document all task-related files and attachments in one place.
- Assign individual and team schedules in a weekly or monthly format.
Basecamp has a 30-days free trial for all users. Paid plans are priced at $99 flat per month.
- G2: 4.1/5 (4985+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (13,500+ reviews)
An effective task management system can help automate your company workflows and make project management a breeze. Task tracking software is also super helpful in ensuring all your monthly tasks are completed on time, with minimal issues, and without overworking the employees.
If you’re looking for any such tool, be sure to read our guide in detail and make an informed decision. And if you’re unsure, sign up for Time Doctor’s 14-day free trial!
Time Doctor will track all your tasks and projects and generate detailed productivity reports for all your employees. So you can improve your team’s time management as well as their productivity!